Professional Masters vs. Masters in Bioinformatics
  • Ok guys~

This is the deal. I received admissions from several U.S. universities and I need your advice.

1. Boston University - regular academic MS bioinformatics program which leads to PhD.

2. Univ. of Pennsylvania - professional MS program in biotechnology that has computational biology/bioinformatics track.

3. Indiana University Purdue University - regular academic MS bioinformatics program. Also has PhD under the school of informatics.

My question is... from aforementioned universities, UPenn has the highest name value (Ivy League title). But it's a professional masters program (w/ research option).

Boston and IUPUI is regular academic (research) masters program with less name value compared to UPenn.

My goal right now is to finish MS program and get a job. I might change my mind later... to move onto PhD program during the course of study. But for now, I am only interested in getting myself into industry.

So... given these school choices, which school would most benefit me getting the job or move on to PhD after completion of MS program?

Please give me your feedback.

Thanks.
  • I do not know much about the schools in the East Coast. And I do not know much about Professional MS program. Professional MS program is new in the US. And I do not believe that there are many people who know.

However, I prefer Boston, simply because Boston area has a very strong local biotech industry sector. On the other hand, Indianapolis has no local biotech sector.

You also need to consider other factors, for examples, financial supports and living expenses... I would think that it is much more expensive to live in Boton than in Indianapolis.
  • Hm.. Thanks Cannibal.

So what you are saying is that Boston Univ. is a good option because of a strong local biotech industry ==> easier to get a job??

I guess I will wait for some other replies to see what others think about my question.
  • i am sailing in the boat as ahkuh!!! my dilemma is that i'm interested in entering the industry as well.... but by going through the job boards of various companies, i believe that even the industries are on the look out for more PhDs than masters!!! so it looks like PhD is a better option than an MS even if u wanna enter the industry, ahkuh!:rolleyes:
  • A while ago, there was a posting from a BU bioinformatics graduate. It may help to read it. Look at the second one at this link;
    http://www.bioplanet.com/planetforums/viewthread.php?tid=2231
    I think the criticism applies not just to BU bioinfo but also to most bioinformatics programs.

How's it going, Cannibal. I recently moved to SUNY Albany (again!). I think I got caught in a postdoc trap. Hope I can get a real position someday before it's too late. Hope things go well with you too.
  • Originally posted by S. Lee

How's it going, Cannibal. I recently moved to SUNY Albany (again!). I think I got caught in a postdoc trap. Hope I can get a real position someday before it's too late. Hope things go well with you too.

Hi Dr H

I have sent you an email to your private email account at Yahoo! I talked in great details in the email.
  • Originally posted by ahkuh
    Ok guys~

This is the deal. I received admissions from several U.S. universities and I need your advice.

1. Boston University - regular academic MS bioinformatics program which leads to PhD.

2. Univ. of Pennsylvania - professional MS program in biotechnology that has computational biology/bioinformatics track.

3. Indiana University Purdue University - regular academic MS bioinformatics program. Also has PhD under the school of informatics.

My question is... from aforementioned universities, UPenn has the highest name value (Ivy League title). But it's a professional masters program (w/ research option).

Boston and IUPUI is regular academic (research) masters program with less name value compared to UPenn.

My goal right now is to finish MS program and get a job. I might change my mind later... to move onto PhD program during the course of study. But for now, I am only interested in getting myself into industry.

So... given these school choices, which school would most benefit me getting the job or move on to PhD after completion of MS program?

Please give me your feedback.

Thanks.

I would do the Masters in Penn if I were you. While you are doing it you can decide if you want to do a PhD or get a job (if you can). If you are not sure about stuff, and by the sound of it you are not, I think it would be the wrong move to do a Masters leading to a PhD just because of location. There is absolutely nothing stopping you relocating to biotech hubs after your Masters if that is what you want to do.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.