• I am currently studying form my class 12 with PCM and Biology and want to pursue BioTech. I have only heared about the IIT speciallized BioTech courses. I would like to know of any other good courses for graduation in India/Abroad like BSc etc and also regarding the colleges providing them.
    Thanks
    Oscar
  • Dear oscar
    Its a welcoming thing that school students like you have started to think towards a career in biotechnology,get into it if you only have a genuine interest in the field,Biotechnology is a science,one must have patience and perseverence for pursuing it. Many of the top biotechnologist in the country presently were botanist or zoologist,there are quite a decent amount of colleges which offers these courses.
    IIT khrg offers a B.tech and an intg M.tech program in biotech & biochemical engg,Anna univ chennai offers B.tech and M.tech programs in Industrial biotechnology.The degree is the flair apart from this all other courses are equal,people in Cold spring harbour (if you dont know what cshl try google.) or Maxplank institute doesnot distinquish based on the degree,what is more important is dedication and mettle.
    Donot get lured by the degree offered,this is in relation to many of the private colleges offering courses like B.Sc biotech,biochem,bioinformatics etc,bigger names tend to attract people in your age.
    What is more important is the institute and the people who teach you.A good foundation is a strong necessity to climb the ladder of success.There are also few private colleges which cater this,ie which offers good lab facility,with good manpower.Do check on these criteria before blindly getting into it.
    You can aswell getinto biotechnology after B.sc,physics,chemistry,or mathematics.
    This is a general advice .In case if you need any specific help and information feel free to mail me.I shall try to help you with the best i can or put you with people who can.
    Best regards
    Keep doing well
    Loving Ahamarshan.J.N.
    E.MAIL : <!-- e --><a href="mailto:ahamarshan@hotmail.com">ahamarshan@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->
  • Personally i don't know anything about..the eductional system of india so i don't knowyour age...but i'm from the UK.
    If your interested in Bioinformatics specifically there are undergraduate(Bsc) starting to pop up in the UK. I don't know how good they are but i presume they will be of a good standard.

I can remember seeing one at Birmingham uni in UK but i'm sure there are more around but i can't remeber where, sorry.

Hope that has helped slightly.For the foreign option.

Peter Oledzki
  • Yes its nice to prepare for ur career early and plan it systematically.As Pete was telling there are quite a few bachelors level courses running in biotech/bioinfo at UK universities.But at this stage scholarships would be difficult.If u write SAT then it may give u a good opening to goto US for ur studies with scholarship.Do check with US counsellate.In India,its better you go for a bachelors in Biochemistry or microbiology instead on Biotech since the former two are tried and tested.You could always branch to biotech at masters level.Anna University,Chennai has a good bachelors program in Industrial biotechnology.It has a common enterance test.
    regards.
    AS
  • Thanx Amarshan, Peter and AC for your advise.
    Yes, Ive heared of colleges offering BSc in Biotech....but if anyone knows of the best courses in the country or any link that will tell about these, do let me know...
    Thanks
    Oscar
  • heyy everyone...
    i just came across this....well i have the same problem.....i'm really interested in biotech....i've gone though lotsa books .

i'm presently doin my 12th with BPCM...in chennai....the thin is i donno which colleges have good faculty and which dont and like u said the basic foundation is very importent.
    i dont' wanna go abroad for under grad....i have already applied for anna uni.......can u pls tell me where else i can apply....or is not b.tech....where can i do B.sc biotech??
    thanks a lot
    luv..payal
    mail...payal_stars@yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Ahamarshan
    Dear oscar
    Its a welcoming thing that school students like you have started to think towards a career in biotechnology,get into it if you only have a genuine interest in the field,Biotechnology is a science,one must have patience and perseverence for pursuing it. Many of the top biotechnologist in the country presently were botanist or zoologist,there are quite a decent amount of colleges which offers these courses.
    IIT khrg offers a B.tech and an intg M.tech program in biotech & biochemical engg,Anna univ chennai offers B.tech and M.tech programs in Industrial biotechnology.The degree is the flair apart from this all other courses are equal,people in Cold spring harbour (if you dont know what cshl try google.) or Maxplank institute doesnot distinquish based on the degree,what is more important is dedication and mettle.
    Donot get lured by the degree offered,this is in relation to many of the private colleges offering courses like B.Sc biotech,biochem,bioinformatics etc,bigger names tend to attract people in your age.
    What is more important is the institute and the people who teach you.A good foundation is a strong necessity to climb the ladder of success.There are also few private colleges which cater this,ie which offers good lab facility,with good manpower.Do check on these criteria before blindly getting into it.
    You can aswell getinto biotechnology after B.sc,physics,chemistry,or mathematics.
    This is a general advice .In case if you need any specific help and information feel free to mail me.I shall try to help you with the best i can or put you with people who can.
    Best regards
    Keep doing well
    Loving Ahamarshan.J.N.
    E.MAIL : <!-- e --><a href="mailto:ahamarshan@hotmail.com">ahamarshan@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->